March 2, 2009

Monday, Monday

Here it is Loser Monday again! And well, I didn't do anything weight wise! At least I didn't go up! But, I didn't go down either! I have to admit I wasn't working too hard on myself though, so this week I need to make a few changes. More time on the cardio glide and outside walking! O.K. everyone how did you do?

On the sewing front; I didn't too badly. I did get some of my mending done. Things that have been sitting and waiting for quite a while. Although, I still have some to catch up on... my sewing room doesn't feel quite as claustrophobic as it was! I'm working on an outfit that was sort of a hand me down (which I love! If I can't or don't take time to sew for myself, at least if I can revitalize something it seems to make it more mine. ) to me. It's a sleeveless dress with an over shirt that was a bit different. Let me see if I can describe it. Since I still haven't gone to go get a new battery for my camera. Well, it's a pull over made of some sort of micro fiber. Long sleeves, with pretty machine embroidered flowers on it. The bottom edge of the top has the side seams open about 6-8 inches. And from what I could figure out, you were supposed to tie the two ends (they have long like ties on them) together. So, I wasn't all that keen on the tie aspect, so I cut off that part and I need to undo and re-hem that area. Plus I stitched up the side seam. I took up the shoulders some too. It has a deep rounded neckline and it was too low (more show) then I would like. I will also take up the shoulder seams on the sleeveless dress. That is a great thing about knowing how to sew, if you find something you have and don't really like something about it... change it! No sense hanging onto something that you won't wear because something about the item bugs you! Check out your closet! Revamp items you don't wear, so you will, or, send it off to a charity of some sort. Or if you know of someone else who can get good use out of it, (and doesn't mind hand me downs) ask them if they want it. Your doing yourself and your friend or the charity for that matter, a big favor! Plus, if you send things to a charity, you can use it for a tax write off if you itemize. It's time to look around your home and see what needs to be re-used. I have a feeling that before things are said and done with this economy of ours... things may get tight.



I was reading some one's blog the other day, (one of the quilters blogs I read) and she said that she was getting up on her soap box; she mentioned something about helping out those around us. The food banks, charity groups that help feed people ect... and that it would be a good idea for us to help out where we can. And I'm here to say.... YES, YES, YES Those of us with children, grandchildren, siblings, parents, nieces, nephews, etc.... would we want someone to help out our families if we weren't close by to them? If you have the means, please search your pantry's and your hearts and skip a meal or so and give the food to the food bank.

Also, on the quiltie front, what with how expensive batting is getting and all, if you are just tieing quilts you can use old blankets for the batting. It works great! This way, your extending the life of the blanket and you get a new quilt out of the deal.
Look around you, there are lots of things that you can re-use if you really want too. Don't forget.... "USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO, OR DO WITH OUT!" This was a saying I ran across in the early 80's and have always tryed to live by.
Also, for those of you who have a little extra space (and also those who don't have tons just some) when you go shopping grab an extra can of something that is a staple, (something you use all the time) and if you can grab one more for the food bank, and that extra one for a rainy day. You will find that if you do this, as food prices go up... it won't be long and you will have a bit extra when you need it.
You could do this with fabric too, I have plenty of rainy day fabric that's for sure.

Have a great week! Don't forget to look into the faces of people you walk by each day as your out and about, on your way to and from work, out shopping etc... give them a smile. Yours might be the only smile they see that day! I've read stories about people that were planning on taking their lives, until someone somewhere made a difference by smiling or taking a moment to talk or to just listen. Our neighbors, strangers etc... all of them, are our brothers and sisters.

3 comments:

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Sounds like a good week, at least no gain. And your so right about that smile!!!!

Janet said...

Hi Jean! Thanks for stopping by my blog and sending some good vibes my way! Now I know one answer to Sharon's contest - and that is a wonderful idea. So since I have no willpower I can at least send you a virtual smile:) Good luck!

Dandelion Quilts said...

Keep up the hard work and it will come off.