October 13, 2009

Canning, Horse Trading, Making Bread, and A Dash of Sewing

I've been busy lately doing all sorts of things. The biggest and best... (well as far as the end factor that is!) is that we've been looking for a "new to me" car! Well not "a car" per say... I don't care for "cars".... I like Jeeps! So, since they decided to make the newer Jeep Grand Cherokee's not to my liking.... we started looking at the Commanders. This is what I call "HORSE TRADING"....... to me, looking for a new (used) vehicle is like buying a horse! Now I've never really bought a horse..... but, maybe you will understand when I paint you this picture!
You go out looking.... some salesperson shows you what he (I can't say that I've ever met a women car salesperson!) wants you to buy! You know, the one that's been on the lot forever!!!!! And then... he may actually ask you what you are interested in! Now mind you, I usually do this with my DH because he wants to find me a vehicle that is safe, clean... and runs well. What can I say.... he loves me! Anyway.... so salesperson and DH start looking at jeeps! He asks what price range we want to be in.... ahem.... and then if he doesn't have something in that area... he trys to get us to look at other types of vehicles! Or says something like.... so I understand that you are looking for something "like" a Commander! What can I say.... after hearing this type of talk from countless..... and I do mean countless..... (cause DH as sweet as he is... likes to look at all of them out there!!!) salespeople..... I counter with..... No! I don't want something "like" a Jeep Commander.... I'm only interested in a Commander! They kind of shake their heads and say sorry, you won't find one for that price! Ahem..... yeah..... he doesn't know me and DH!!!
O.K. a little more description on why I call this "Horse Trading". If you think about it, if you were going to buy a horse from someone, that means that the "horse" has had a previous owner! Which makes you wonder.... why is said previous owner getting rid of said "Horse"? So, you look at it's teeth, check it's hooves, lift the tail, make sure it's lungs are clear, make sure that it hasn't had any broken legs. Oh, and you need to know how old it is! How many trips to the vet... you get the picture right?
This is what DH does.... with each and every jeep he sees.... I'm a bit more patient that one of the sales people I feel we can actually trust (and who seems to not be pushy) will find us something we really want... and for the price we want to pay! DH.... well, he is the worrier of the two of us... so he has to do all the worrying about each and every one of the jeeps we look at!
He keeps looking on line... and calls me down to the computer when ever he finds one that pricewise, color, age etc.... fits the criteria! We looked at one after another, driving to different places in the state of Utah. And low and behold we found one we thought would be good! This on a Friday.... Monday we called back to tell them we were coming back for a second look.... It got sold on Saturday! Starting over again..... So a couple weeks back we had looked at a nice Tannish colored one.... 2006 nice..... but the price was a little bit more than I wanted to pay! So we moved onto look at another one... me patient.... DH ..... not so much! Finally this past Friday I was telling my friend Karma about what type of vehicle we were looking for and that I really didn't need a super plush type vehicle but it is the one we travel to family in etc.... over 900 one way.... so it wouldn't hurt to have it be nice.... So, the more I was describing it to her... the more excited I got and then b/4 I knew it.... I was calling the salesman that had helped us out. Dereck at Specialty Automotives in Centerville, Utah..... ( I'm not getting anything extra from saying this....) anyway... I asked if I could come see it again, he said sure.... and I looked at it! He wanted to know if I wanted to drive it again.... I said No! And said, O.K. this is the one! He said, alright... lets write up some papers! Too funny! He wasn't pushy at all! Nice guy... it was a good thing cause the guy we saw in Logan Utah.... (we won't be saying the name of the place here!) kept calling and calling! And when he called, even though he knew that the jeep was for me.... he asked for my DH. This ticked me off! After he called the 2nd time, I asked why he kept asking for my DH when he knew that it was for me.... He said, "Well, I figure that he is the one that has to decide whether or not to pay for it.... so I thought I should talk to him!"...... LoL.... he sure blew that! Oh well.... guess he didn't earn our business did he!
After I went back with DH with the $$$ the bank gave us (cause we know that the bank is really paying up front for it first!!!) we drove it home..... yeah.... talk about nice.... sorry... guess I'm gloating a bit... it's the nicest I've ever had... and only 3 years old with 37,000 miles on it! Practically new!
Next day... I went to my SIL Tammy's ward to do a demo on making white bread. The room we were in was sooooo cold.... brrrrr just doesn't describe it! I had to heat an oven to help the dough to rise.... cause the room just wasn't making it that's for sure! But eventually it rose enough and we baked it and it turned out pretty good.
I've also been making a cute little item for my friend Karma... for her belated b-day gift. We won't go into how late I am with the gift! LoL.... Anyway, it's a portable ironing mat that has pockets in a separate section. So think of a retangle that is say...... 14 x 26 inches.... (mat) and then from one end of the mat where it attaches.... a clear plastic area w/fabric on the back... it has 3 separate pockets that have zippers to get into them. It rolls up and is tied together with ribbons. If my camera was working I would be glad to show you... but alas... at this time it is not! If I get the camera fixed soon I will post a picture.

So now after everything... I forgot to tell you that I've been doing some Fall canning also... well, at least some fruit drying! I dried a 1/2 bushel of pears last week and if I do say so myself... they taste wonderful! Nothing like pears.... I need to finish up the rest and do the peaches I have also. Before we go get apples from my in-laws... tomatoes from the garden still need to be canned... and then we picked apples from our tree's too! Not enough hours in the day for everything ... guess that's why I end up doing things at night too!
Later ladies.... enjoy your week!
Today is my oldest childs B-day! Happy Birthday Ben! 32! WoW! Love Ya! MoM

No comments: