June 19, 2009

The Dress Is Done!

I finally finished up the dress for DGD. And tried it on her... but forgot to take a picture with her in it. So, on Tuesday when she actually wears it, I will get a couple of pictures to post.
Meanwhile here are a couple of the front and back with no one in it! Lol...





I did end up not happy with the lace facing..... sooo once again, (this is just how I am! Picky!) I undid the stitching and this time went with a full bodice lining. Happiness complete! It has more body to it now also. So yes, so glad that I made the change.

And can you see the line down the middle of the bodice and front of the skirt? You may have to enlarge... but let me know if you notice it. I've gotten so I barely notice it now! It helps that my DD didn't seem to mind it at all.
O.K. here is the back! Oh, and between the time that I finished and then gave it to my DD, I sat on the floor at church.... (DD was helping out with a Primary.... a kids activity...) and I made thread loops to hold the ribbon tie on. I put them on at the side seams.... Have you ever made those? They are relatively easy to do, but I just kept getting interrupted and so then I would lose where I was and so had to undo and start over. Which truth to be told isn't all that hard, it's just that I wanted to get it done! So here I am, sitting on the floor outside a doorway, while about 45 kids were inside a room watching a video of something they had recorded earlier... and these ladies that didn't know me, kept walking by probably thinking that I was nuts sitting on the floor sewing!!!! Hmmmm, maybe some truth to all that!
Here's the back! And When I get some pictures of the dress on DGD I will post them!

One thing that I did too, was I made an under slip for just the skirt! I didn't take pictures of it, but I may have to later... I used the front pattern piece for the skirt and then used only 1/2 of the back piece, because it really didn't need to be as full as the dress itself. I will explain in a moment. So I pieced the skirt pieces together so that I had a seam to use for the back opening. I left about 7-8 inches opening so she could get into it. I attached it with 4 small clear snaps that I put into the waist band. I figure it will be easier for my DD to clean if she can take the slip in and out. Also, on the bottom edge of the slip I put a couple pieces of cancan netting about 2 inches tall by the width of the bottom edge.... I gathered it first, and then attached it. This will give the appropriate puffing... as you can see in the picture. We tried it on DGD and it looks sooo cute! Sorry, guess it's a grandma's pride... she looks so sweet in it! Take care. Remember to put your scissors and or rotary cutter up so little fingers/hands can't find them!







1 comment:

Ravenhill said...

JEAN!!! All the wonderful photos you have now!!! I adore the dress! It is perfect! You were so sweet to explain how you did it so well. I am just loving your blog and finding out so much about you and your beautiful family. You are doing fantastic!
~Emily xx