March 10, 2020

Is Anybody Out There?



Hard to believe is has been so terribly long since I last posted. I think sometimes loss does that. It changes things, and we move onto other more important things in our lives.
I've been working on a few items here and there. Some for me and some for others. Alterations of wedding dresses and a few items of mending for our family and others. I found myself working on a project or two that I just can't get into. Have you ever had that happen? You know, something you have taken on for someone else; and it's hard to get past a certain point with any type of enthusiasm at all?  I'm in the middle of one of those. I really need to get it done!!! And out of my sewing room. I think even the dog has decided it needs to be done! It's almost like she doesn't want to be in here with me while I'm in such an indecisive mood. I get that.  Its Winter and cold in our basement, which is where my sewing room is. I have an extra heater, which I only plug in when I'm in here. We have seen too many fires of late where a electric portable heater has been involved. One of our friends lost their sweet dog in their fire. So sad. But, that has been a couple years now and they rebuilt. But, you know... it touches you.
O.K., on to some sewing thoughts. I cut out McCall's M7348  which from looking on-line on the McCall's patterns site  has been changed to M8062. Why do they do that??? Sure makes it hard to find. Anyway, this pattern is a learn to sew pattern, easy peasy... But since I knew I was going to change it up anyway I got this one for the basic pattern pieces.



So, I like the basic's, as I've said. Just wanted a bit more definition to the higher waist. So I did things a bit unconventionally. Since I'm a bit shorter than some; I'm 5 foot 4 inches....  I just took up a 3/4 of an inch just a bit under the bust line then proceeded to add elastic in the casing I had made. I cut out view E then added the 3/4 length sleeves. It gets cold here in Utah...  I probably should have cut out the medium instead of the large thinking it might be too baggie. Though, I also don't care to have super tight clothing on either. But at some point in my late night cutting I cut out the large. I suppose I can take in the seams if I need too. Still needs hems on the sleeves and the bottom of the dress. I'm not one to care for the hanker-chief hem-line on me at least, so that is why I went with the view I did.  It has turned out nicely. I will have to take a picture of the dress on my manikin and add to this post when I think of it. 
For now that's all. It is trying to be Spring around here, so there are things to do besides sewing. Although, since we work with the young single adults of our Church, there seem to be lots of weddings going on... yesterday we received another wedding announcement, making that 4 that we need to get projects done their gifts. I usually try to add some type of personal item in a basket of home made items for the bride and groom. Generally I embroider  Mr & Mrs (then their last name) and the year they are married continuously across the bottom of a dish towel or two. I do some canning still and add recipes with the Home made chunky applesauce for apple crisp, and then with the Home made Pasta Sauce I add a couple of different ways to use it. Also adding maybe a pie plate (to make the apple crisp in) and usually some noodles of some sort to use with the pasta. Throw it into a small container of some sort... (I go to the local D.I. if I have run out of containers/baskets to pick something up inexpensively) put clear plastic gift wrap around it with a bow and make a card out of their announcement and it's done.  When you get invited to a lot of weddings (which like I say since we work with the young single adults), I like to come up with something nice but not budget breaking.
Alright, if you have a project that hasn't been moving along like you think/thought it should... go pull it out. Find your motivation... it's hard sometimes to continue. But I project completed is much easier to move out of your sewing space, then one that still has need of finishing. Good luck. Don't forget to change out your sewing machine needle. 





No comments: