October 27, 2011

November Is Just Around The Corner

What with November just around the corner...... that means someone's birthday is too!  Yes siree.... so, my mom and I were talking the other day..... I need to check in and make sure that they are behaving themselves and that I'm not missing anything... (sound like someone you know mom and dad?).  Mom mentioned that she mailed my birthday present! Quick story.... when our oldest DD was a little girl.... she hated not knowing what a gift was.... whether or not it was for her... she could hardly stand it if she had to wait to see what it was! And she was more than ready to volunteer to help her siblings open any presents that they might have! Some things never change! So as she started having children I was interested to see how she would deal with this situation (mind you she is now 30 something). So last week was our DGS's birthday! I must admit she did really well; even when he was having a hard time opening one or two presents at his birthday party... (you know the ones that have that curly ribbon on them!) she held back and didn't volunteer her services.... until he asked! And then either she or DSIL helped out and the gift was given right back! LoL.... yeahhhhh Missy! Anyway, so a day or 2 ago I received the gift from my folks and when I was speaking to DD#1... I told her about it.  And that I now was going to have to "wait" until my birthday to open it! She said, You haven't opened it yet?" Too funny.... I could just see her eyes getting all excited! Patience is a virtue you know... guess I had better keep waiting... I need all the Heavenly help I can get! LoL...
I've been working on some Christmas presents and a few gifts for a couple of my friends from the Primary Presidency I was just released from. I may show those later.

O.K. it's getting colder outside and I thought that I would share a family favorite that maybe I've shared before... (it just makes me think of Fall/Winter)


Leek and Sausage Soup

carrot's sliced (however many you like... we like lots of veg's in our soups)
celery sliced about 1/4 cup
1 1/2 cup of washed and sliced leeks either in strips or rounds
peeled and diced potato's (see carrot's)
Kielbasa sausage  is good.... depends on how much you want but the recipe calls for 1/4 pound... (but we use more cause we didn't want to hear about how much someone else got of the sausage from the kids... lol)
1/2 tsp. Marjoram
1 tsp. salt (optional... I figure the sausage has salt in it... so it's up to people to salt to taste in their own bowl)
pepper 1/2 tsp.
3 cups chicken broth (give or take.... you need enough to cover veg's... or you can add a little water)

2 Tbs. flour
2 Tbs. butter or margarine

1. Combine all ingred's except flour/butter into cooker.
2. Cook on low 5 hours, or on high 3 hours.
3. To thicken soup, remove 1/3 c. liquid and combine with flour and butter. Return to soup and stir.
Yields 5-6 servings.... depending on how many more veggie's you have added.
It tastes even better the next day!
Enjoy..... And oh.... remember to clean out your machine once in a while to get out all the dusty bugs... your machine will thank you!

No comments: